August 03, 2012

Mississippi Mud Pie

I first learned how to make this pie when I was about 13 years old. There was a cooking show that came on PBS in New Orleans in the days before The Food Network. I saw a little lady from Lafayette, Louisiana make this and I immediately began to aggravate my mom to get the ingredients. When she saw how simple it was she agreed and I insisted on making it myself.

When it was done, we were both surprised by how delicious it was. Really simple ingredients but lots of taste.

In the recipe below, I've substituted Cool Whip for homemade whipped cream. I like the taste of homemade whipped cream but you can, of course, use ready made whipped topping if you desire.

 

Mississippi Mud Pie

1/2 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Mix butter and flour well. Add chopped pecans, mix until pecans are well coated. Press firmly into bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Let it cool for 1/2 hour.

FIRST FILLING:

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 &1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
2 pints heavy cream, whipped to firm peaks with 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.

Mix well and spread on crust.

SECOND FILLING:

1 package instant chocolate pudding
1 package instant vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups cold milk

Mix well and spread on top of cream cheese mixture. Spread remaining whipped cream on top of pudding mixture and refrigerate.

 

This is a really fun dessert to make that can be made easily with tiny people. By tiny people, I mean kids. It's super tasty and has an incredibly fun name!


Now...

Go, eat!!

If you enjoy the recipes, please share my blog with your friends. If you have a recipe you'd like to share in Friendly Foods, please send it in. Photos are also appreciated! teedycooks@gmail.com

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment