July 29, 2012

Caribbean Jerk Seasoning

My dear friend Michelle was born and raised in Jamaica but has lived in Finland for over 20 years. She and I enjoy spending time together laughing, drinking and cooking. Her husband, Arto, loves these meetings because he knows that good food is his reward when she and I get together.

I once called her from Norway to ask her to send me some jerk seasoning. It's a flavorful, spicy and unique Caribbean seasoning blend that is used on several types of Jerk dishes. It can be used on chicken, fish, lamb, pork and goat. I've also done Jerk Turkey.

Well, Michelle told me there was no need for her to send me Jerk Seasoning, she said I probably had everything I needed to make my own. Here I share this fantastic blend of Caribbean goodness

Caribbean Jerk Seasoning

1 tablespoon onion -- finely minced
2-teaspoons garlic -- finely minced
1-teaspoon kosher salt
1-teaspoon allspice -- ground
¼ teaspoon nutmeg -- ground
¼ teaspoon cinnamon -- ground
2-teaspoons brown sugar
2-teaspoons black pepper
2-teaspoons cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix together minced onion, garlic, oil and spices and rub over meat. If using for chicken or fish rub the mixture inside and out.

Makes enough rub to coat a whole pork, beef or lamb roast. Makes enough rub for a whole chicken or a large, whole fish.

If you want to make a rub for later use, use dried minced onions & garlic instead of fresh. Fresh onions & garlic can create harmful bacteria if stored with the other ingredients over a period of time.

Now...

Go, eat!!

If you enjoy the recipes, please share my blog with your friends. If you have a recipe you'd like to share in Friendly Foods, please send it in. Photos are also appreciated! teedycooks@gmail.com

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comments:

Irina said...

Hi! :) May I ask you a question?

Post a Comment