August 14, 2012

Citrus Water, Ginger Chicken, Couscous & Spicy Cabbage (With Photos)

First I will begin this little food exploration with the Citrus Water. A great way to make water more appealing and delicious is by dropping in fresh fruit. Almost any fruit can be added to water to make it tasty and gorgeous! Some people who have no interest in drinking water need a little encouragement. My favorites are, lemon and red grapefruit, melon and cucumber, red and green apple & green grapes and strawberry. The one I choose for this dish is lemon and red grapefruit because it compliments the flavors in the Ginger Chicken.
 
Add a few slices to your water and put it into the fridge until its time for dinner. You want it to sit for a while so that the fruit can lightly flavor the water.
 
Now onto the chicken!
 
This is an easy dish yet full of flavor. It makes a good weekday meal but can also be served for an intimate dinner party with friends. Just add a nice bottle of white wine.
 
I don't have this in true recipe format, but it's easy to follow.
 
I like to get nice large boneless skinless chicken breasts and that way you only need one per person. I wash the chicken breast under cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel. Lay the chicken breast on an antibacterial chopping board or a plate and score it in a crisscross pattern, making sure not to cut all the way thru.
 
This process makes the seasoning embed itself into the chicken, giving you delicious flavor through the chicken.
 
 
 
Finely mince, 1 teaspoon of each, garlic, pickled ginger and cilantro (coriander). Sprinkle sea salt and crushed red pepper over the chicken breast to taste and then press the minced ingredients into to your chicken.
 
 
Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and set your oven at 185C. I use a paper towel with olive oil and rub it along the bottom of a glass baking dish to bake my chicken.
 
Now you can prepare your cabbage. I slice my cabbage into long thin strips, wash it and place it into a medium stock pot. On top I add minced garlic, sliced red onion, and a spice mix that I prepare of 17 spice no salt seasoning, cayenne pepper, smoked sea salt, paprika powder, white pepper and dried oregano.
 
 
I drizzle a little vegetable oil over the top and turn it on a medium heat. I stir it around and only cook it until the cabbage and onions soften slightly. I like a nice crisp to the vegetables.
 
I prepare my couscous according to the box directions but I always use chicken broth instead of just water for more flavor. I stir in sliced green onion, cover and set aside until its time to serve.
 
I pop the chicken into the oven for 25 minutes or until the chicken runs with clear juice. 15 into cooking I sprinkle sliced green onion over the chicken.
 
When the chicken is done I take it from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. I place a chicken breast onto a bed of the spicy cabbage and the couscous next to this lovely fragrant birdie!
 
 
 
 
 
Now...
 
Go, eat!!
 
If you enjoy the recipes, please share my blog with your friends. If you have a recipe you'd like to share in Friendly Foods, please send it in. Photos are also appreciated! teedycooks@gmail.com
 

2 comments:

Basslak said...

delicious my dear friend.... you are a gem in most ways and also a source of inspiration when it comes to cooking!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, darling!! I think this a ish that you'll really love. It's what I made for dinner today. It was soooooooo good!

Post a Comment