December 02, 2013

Our Norwegian Thanksgiving! (Photos)

Gobble, gobble, everybody!! I was on the road, on tour, when Thanksgiving Day rolled in. Although I'm in Norway, I celebrate Thanksgiving. In my family, in New Orleans, Thanksgiving really had nothing to do with pilgrims and their journey and such. For us, it was just about being thankful. Thankful for everything we were blessed with; family, health, a roof over our heads friends and food. Always enough food. Thankful that there's was also always enough to share with friends, old and new. That is the Thanksgiving I brought with me to Norway.

Peto picked up a beautiful, bone in turkey breast for me to roast. It's just the two of us so there's no need for the whole bird. We decided to celebrate on Sunday since I didn't get home until late Saturday evening.

Turkey can be dry, especially white meat. My trick to ensure a juicy turkey is to wrap it in a delicious fat content, BACON!!!! This is what I do. I'm not saying whichever way you choose is incorrect, but I love the flavor and I always have a juicy turkey. I season the turkey with sea salt, red pepper, paprika and a little Creole spice, all over and under the skin. I also slide about 3 small bay leaves under the skin. The herbs I used on Sunday were, parsley, thyme and sage. I then wrapped the turkey with a beautiful smoky bacon. On the outside of the bacon I rubbed in a mixture of orange marmalade, fig preserves and a bit more of the herbs. I topped with some Spring onions and roasted it low for 2.5 hours or until the meat is at least 75-78C on the inside.


I used a mixture of veggies, also roasted. Gold and orange carrots, Brussel sprouts, sugar snaps, green beans, green peas, mushrooms, garlic and red onions. Seasoned with sea salt, pepper flakes, Provence herbs and olive oil.


We also had a homemade bread & sausage stuffing with a little diced smoked ham. We roasted Mandel and sweet potatoes with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary.





The house, of course smelled like Holiday, which we always love!


and, voila!!!


Now...

Go, eat!!

If you enjoy the recipes, please share my blog with your friends. If you have a recipe you'd like to share in Friendly Foods, please send it in. Photos are also appreciated! teedycooks@gmail.com

1 comments:

Vatican Lokey said...

Lovely sweetie!

Post a Comment