July 24, 2012

It's All About The Grill (with Photos)

Summertime was always special around my house when I was growing up. My mom was a grilling machine! She didn't care what the weather was, if she could get the fire started, she was going to grill. Rain or shine.
 
I inherited that same desire to grill, no matter the weather. I have to tell you, living on the west coast of Norway, makes this a continuous challenge. The weather is often wet and windy in the summer. And yet, I persevere! My neighbors used to look at me quizzically when they'd see me lighting the grill when the clouds of impending rain were overhead, but now they just smile and make the polite Norwegian, "ooh, that smells good" face. Norwegians are far too polite to come over and say, " girl, that's smelling good! What you got going on over here!?" Everyone who knows me, understands that I'd be happy to share the grub!! That's what it's all about!
 
Peto and I are big fans of Veggie Packs on the grill. Vegetables love the grill. You don't only have to skewer them to cook them on the grill. Below I have some lovely Veggie Packs,
A Lovely Leek...
 
 
Leeks are a delicious sweet and mild part of the onion family. I first cut off most of the green top and slice it straight down the middle.
 
 
 


Then rinse in lots of cold water. Leeks and green onions (scallions) tend to have sand hiding in between their layers. It's not cool to crunch on sand while you eat.
 
Then, I cut the washed halves into halves and place it on double layered heavy duty foil.
 
 


Drizzle over good olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and a light pinch of Creole Seasoning. Don't over season, you want to taste this lovely vegetable. Lay some sprigs of your favorite herb on top. I chose oregano.
 
 
Oh, it's so pretty! I can't help myself. One more!
 
 
Wrap up the leeks in a nice package and sit aside.


Next Veggie Pack is zucchini with mushrooms, garlic, red onion, a little bell pepper and basil.
 
 
 

Chop your vegetables in thick chunks except for the garlic and bell pepper, mince those.
 
 

 
 
 

Place the vegetables on doubled heavy duty foil and season them as desired and drizzle with olive oil. Then, sprinkle whole basil leaves over the top.
 
 
 
 

Gorgeous!! Now, wrap it up in a nice package and set aside to wait or the grill.
 
 

I place the Veggie Packs around the edges of the grill before I begin to cook the meat or fish. They need to go a bit longer in the packs.
 
I get my grill prepared and if the weather is good, I set up outside in our pavilion.
 
 

 
 
 

After about 25-35 minutes my packs are ready to come off the grill.
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

I served my Veggie Packs this day with Ginger & Maple Smoked Pork Chops and Honey & Soy Drumsticks.
 
 

 
 
 

Now...
 
Go, eat!!
 
If you enjoy the recipes, please share my blog with your friends. If you have a recipe you'd like to share in Friendly Foods, please send it in. Photos are also appreciated! teedycooks@gmail.com
 
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment