October 25, 2015

Spicy Barbecue Sauce


Oh yeah! Barbecue sauce is a lovely thing. Homemade is even more lovely. Whenever I've bought prepared barbecue sauce I've always had to "dress it up" before I was satisfied with the taste, so I figured why dress up something when I can just make it myself? Plus I like the control of what's going into my food. When I read the ingredients on so many prepared condiments, I'm a little frightened of the weird unrecognizable things they contain.

I searched online for basic barbecue sauce recipes and found some pretty simple ones to use as a base. This is what I did for my go to sweet and spice sauce.

Ingredients:

1 can crushed tomatoes, no spices or flavoring added
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsps Worsterschire Sauce
1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice, fresh squeezed, you can use vinegar instead
2 tsps garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
Minced red chili to taste, I use 2 tsps
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Directions:

In a saucepan over medium high heat, place olive oil and tomato paste. Stir constantly for 5-7 minutes and then add garlic and onion, stirring constantly for another 2-4 minutes until you smell th fragrance of the garlic and onion rising over the tomato paste. Drain som of th liquid from the canned tomatoes nod add to the saucepan. Turn down the heat to medium. Add 1/2 of the minced chili and the remainder of your ingredients and turn th heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it will not stick. The sugar from th ingredients will cause it to thicken.

When the sauce is complete, remove from heat and stir in the remainder of your minced chili. I like to have little bites of spice in my sauce.





This sauce is sweet and spicy and goes well on chicken or meats. It's also really cool on small cocktail meatballs. It can last for about 1 month in an airtight container kept in the fridge.

Now, GO EAT!

If you enjoy the recipes, please share!
#teedycooks


0 comments:

Post a Comment