August 27, 2013

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa & Spicy Yogurt Sauce

SO! Its been a while since I've posted to my cooking blog. Life has been super busy with my "real" job, singing and touring. This is a good thing. Now, don't think I haven't been cooking up a storm, because you can look at my robust figure and see that I most certainly have been!! HA!

My best friend and the piano player that I've collaborated with for almost 20 years, Paul David Longstreth, has been staying here in Norway with Peto and I, working on playing more in Europe and writing original music. He is very interested in learning more about cooking for himself and for friends and family. So, when we're not working on music, he and I have been having little workshops on how to prepare delicious meals.
I am not a chef. I am a vocalist who loves to cook almost as much as I love to sing. I don't claim to have the knowledge of a chef. I know how to make food that tastes great to me, my family and my friends and over the years, they have truly enjoyed the meals I've created. I've learned tips and tricks from REAL chefs to help me with being a better cook. When Paul asked if I could teach him to make good food, I knew this was something I could do!

This past Tuesday, after a trip to the mall and to have an oil change done on my car, we had to make something quick, but tasty for dinner. I decided that the lesson for Paul would be to make fish tacos!
Now, this sounds super simple and it is, but its SOOOOOOOOOOO delicious!!!! I made mine with salmon, but you can use a fish of your choice.

The first thing is to prepare the Mango Salsa. Mango is light and delicious and pairs beautifully with fish. I also find that peaches and nectarines also work well, so if you don't have access to mango, you can use fresh peaches or nectarines.

Mango Salsa

1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 medium red onion, diced
2 toes garlic finely minced
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1/4 cup minced curly leaf parsley
The juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tbsp ruby red grapefruit juice (optional)
1 medium tomato, seeded & diced
1 cucumber, diced
Salt to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Mix it all up in your bowl, cover with plastic film and refrigerate.
Voila! You're done with the Mango Salsa

0 comments:

Post a Comment